Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Fall crocus




Amazing color for fall -- rosy hues of colchicum -- a bulb that blooms like a giant crocus in the fall. Some years these are blooming as the colored leaves fall around them.






This is the 'Waterlily' colchicum.





The bulb sends up large leaves in the spring, which die back for the summer. Then in the fall these leaf-less blossoms show up -- always surprising me.


Time to plant more bulbs for some spring surprises. (It's fun to be an absent-minded gardener!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen the waterlily colchicum before. Gorgeous.

oregon gal

Tina Leavy said...

how very pretty! have never grown anything like those before..they are lovely. lucky you to have such pretties in your yard.have a good week.

Anonymous said...

Oh, they're delightful.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you found my blog, thanks for visiting! I love these flowers, never seen a autumn crocus, so pretty!! Lovely photos!! I'll be back!